The first time I visited Salcombe I arrived by boat. It was a hot day and the sun was pleasantly tingling my skin and the breeze was giving a friendly cooling feeling. Little white breaks in the estuary were ushering us on our way. As we neared shore all the little delights came into view. It was a great way to arrive.
So forget conventional travelling whilst in South Devon and discover how to arrive in style.
1. All aboard the vintage Agatha Christie bus!
Travel back in time on ‘Barnaby’, a 1947 bus that’ll take you on a scenic tour of South Devon along the River Dart to Agatha Christie’s waterside holiday home in Greenway.
2. Enjoy one of the finest heritage steam railway journeys anywhere and arrive in South Devon aboard the historic Dartmouth Steam Train!
Take in the picturesque views of the River Dart and the surrounding Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty along the way.
Indulgent, romantic and the perfect way to enjoy the breath-taking Devonshire countryside with a hot air balloon ride. Toast with champagne in the sky whilst gliding to marvel at the view of Dartmoor, the Start Bay coast and towns in-between.
4. Sail away from Dartmouth on Devon’s Paddle Steamer.
The ‘Kingswear Castle’ is the last remaining coal-fired paddle steamer in the UK. Built in 1924 in Dartmouth, she made a triumphant return to the Dart waterways in early 2013.
5. Stroll and picnic with style.
Of all the glamorous endings, would you have expected a walk? But read on, as you will discover, there could be nothing finer than walking the South West Coast Path (I’d highly recommend East Prawle to East Portlemouth and taking the ferry to Salcombe). Essential to the success of a good walk, is a good picnic. And I’ve selected a list of local food supplies to start you off. Here’s our shopping list:
- Wine and cheese from Sharpham
- Organic cakes and the freshest of veg from Riverford Organic
- Some fresh chillies from South Devon Chilli Farm
- And if you need a back up plan, head to Rock Fish & Chips for a divine classic.
There are so many places to discover in South Devon, whether by boat, balloon, foot, bike or bus, you’ll have an amazing journey.
If you fancy a break over the Bank Holiday weekend then why not find out more about our late availability offers