Our top Dartmouth walks navigate not only the South West Coast Path, but also the River Dart, rolling countryside,...
Welcome to your visual guide to a circular walk between Thurlestone (South Milton Sands) and Bantham.
OS © Crown copyright 2018 CS-49390-P7H3Y2
To view the OS map for our Thurlestone to Bantham walk, please click here.
1. Head to South Milton Sands beach and turn right, walking along the sand.
2. At the end of the beach, join the South West Coast Path.
3. You’ll pass a few smaller beaches on your left, and a golf course on your right. Would you like to find out more about golfing in South Devon? Find out from the experts here.
4. As the signs say, do keep an eye out for stray golf balls!
5. Don’t forget to look back at the wonderful views of Thurlestone Rock.
6. There are some perfectly placed benches along the path for enjoying views of Burgh Island. The view from this bench looks unbeatable…
7… except by the next bench on the path!
8. Go through the gate at the end of the path.
9. There’s often livestock grazing here, so the farmer requests you keep to the edge of the field.
10. When you reach the beach, turn right and walk through the car park.
11. Carry on until you reach The Sloop Inn. Turn right here (either into the pub if it’s time for a rest or just past it if you plan to continue the walk!)
12. The road leads directly to a footpath.
13. Go through the gate and turn left.
14. Turn right when you reach the corner of the field. There will be a gate in front of you. Go through it.
15. Go over the stile straight ahead.
16. Go through the next gate and climb the steep hill.
17. At the waymarker at the top, you can go right to re-join the coast path or carry on towards Thurlestone village.
18. Go through the gate. Keeping to the edge of the field, head towards the church.
19. Go through the gate by the church and walk down the road with the church on your left.
20. Walk around the church and turn right, passing the war memorial on your right.
21. Now, simply follow the road.
22. When you come to golf club, you have a few options. One is to walk through the golf club car park by the road.
23. Turn right and walk down the footpath.
24. Turn left to rejoin the coast path heading back towards South Milton Sands. When you pass the small car park you’ll see a gate leading to a footpath, a little inland. Go through it.
25. Cross the bridge and follow the trail back to the South Milton Sands National Trust car park.
There are more fantastic walking trails in this guide to South Devon walks.
How about a walking holiday in the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty? There are trails suitable for everyone and you’ll be amazed by the variety of scenery in our region, from dramatic cliffs and rocky headlands to picture-postcard rolling hills and chocolate box villages.